Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A lot to do ..

I have started enjoying some of my free time so much that I now make free time to enjoy. Staring with playing badminton, I will get better at this, to learning how to play table tennis. The carom board has been taken over by some people from another project and we could not play because of this. I have started going to the gym as well. But work has to be finished within the time frame and I strive to finish all the important work. This post is all about Rails.

Before Rails I knew what an MVC was and how to implement it. But never got an entire framework bundled with all the features. I am a relative starter in this field but it took little time to understand how great is rails when considered as a rapid application development platform. The tests also was a pro as I never had written a single test when I was doing JAVA [:)].

The usage of helpers like link_to_remote and form_for has been great as it greatly reduced application development time. I also found it better to write all the configurations in a yml and load it via the environment file that to write static classes which returned all these. And the plug-ins that it gave. Just awesome. Think about not writing a single piece of code for the authentication and tagging features. It even has Lucene plug-ins. I have also used the paginating_find plug-in.

The stuff that I hear most from my friends is the problems that ActiveRecord has. As per Abhijat, it took 13 secs to execute a simple query with limit and 3-4 secs without limit. I also understand that loading with include is actually transformed into join statements which is bound to up the query time and object creation time. 1+N problem ! And their effort. I also liked wrting rake tasks as they are so ruby ! :)

I also see that even though twitter is having so much problems extending, a lot of rails sites have come. Slide Share is one of them. I also saw this site called Crazzyegg. They use nginx and mongrel servers. I have not seen a site use mod-rails as of now.

No comments: