Thursday, February 7, 2008

Java to Ruby transition

I was one of those who made a transition from small time Java programming to small time Ruby programming. I have tried to understand the differences between them, in convention, usage and concepts. It was when I 'Stumbled Upon' a mind blowing piece of code that I understood that I don't even know 1% of Ruby. This was the Arc Challenge. It also dealt with a concept called Continuations.

The problem statement was simple. Implement 3 pages - the first one would get an argument from the user, the second one would show a link which says 'Click Me' without the argument passed and the final page would display 'You entered #{argument}". And what I saw was pretty confusing code which made me go and browse the basics of the language.

I managed to get hold of some content which I thought was pretty useful. It dealt with what to expect from Ruby if you are coming from a Java background. Some questions were also raised like Dynamic Languages v/s Static Languages. Some of these are pretty old content but its worth the read.

The links are as follows.

No comments: