Friday, April 11, 2008

Mixed Ideas

The Workstreamr team had a party yesterday. Geoffreys was the venue. Ben was the host and we reached a bit late after the delayed travel. The party had already started when we had reached there and we started out with a Corona each. Abhijat was fasting and did not have any alcohol. Amol joined us later when we ordered a Long Island Ice Tea. Little did I know that this one was going to be one nasty drink. As I understand from Abhilash, it was a mix of Gin, Vodka and White Rum. One nasty combination. I was half way through the drink when I asked Amol about the complexities that were involved in getting into the Product Usability and Design Group.

I consider that every individual involved in a project/class bring a unique set of ideas to the table. Some give more and are able to imagine a situation fast. I consider myself to be artistically efficient. I like to work on Photoshop and Gimp is my favorite. The Workstreamr Client which is in Adobe AIR uses Html, CSS and javascript, was done with some sense of what a typical client would look like. The available clients were also taken into consideration along with great IM clients such as Gtalk and Open Source Gaim ( I am not that into Yahoo! coz it cramps my system sometimes). And I think I did a pretty good job at it.

The point here that I express is how much effectiveness can I as an individual can provide if I were to be in a position designing the usability. programming concepts come into picture here and as per Amol, Web 2.0 applications design often requires this kind of a background. If you are able to visualize a product taking into consideration all its complexities, both technical and usability, then you could shine anywhere. That is what I try to communicate. To think like a normal user, a majorly dumb one, is a main ingredient. That lets you conceptualize more I believe. It is sure that I would not let go of programming. Ten years down the lane I still see myself as coding. But I also would like to explore the designing area, just to get a feel of it. Not taking in too much responsibilities but expressing my ideas so that the end product would gain.

To have an idea is normal but to struggle for the idea makes the thought worth while.

No comments: