Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tech Talks with a Geek

It was a long weekend for me this around. It was due to a meeting with a partner of ours. I thought it would be one of those guys who just know the stuff that he wants but is not willing to understand the complexities involved in the development of the project. This was just the second time the TEAM had asked something of this magnitude of me. What came up was something I had not expected. The person, I was told, was a very technical person. The first thing that struck my mind was that I could have a same language thing going on here and that could be beneficial.

The person was meant to be Luke Hohmann. An agile enthusiast, a pro developer and an excellent orator. I was lucky to have an opportunity to meet and talk 'techi' stuff with him. I was also interested knowing that he had Martin Fowler as a close friend, a person whom I admire. It is very rare that you will find people who have a passion for technology, any technology, and have experimented with almost all the stuff out there. He is now venturing on a territory which os very interesting but fruitful called Innovation Games in Enthiosys.

The technique that Luke uses to convey a message is also very striking. He puts forward the questions 'why, when, where, how and who' and tries to answer them. These being the only types of questions, it makes it very logical to ascertain the validity of a message. His knowledge of human psychology and statistics is an added gain. I also liked the statement that he passes quite frequently 'Its a bitch !'.

I dont think I would be able to meet a mind like his.

No comments: